May 11, 2010

The chick is leaving the nest!


We took a copy of our orders, the acceptance letter to WSU, social security card and set up my daughter's student travel. It was as easy as one, two, three. The very nice women helping us said ok that's it, she's all set to go. All set to go I told myself, she's all set to go. I'm not ready for her to be all set to go. As the date of her departure gets closer and closer realization she's leaving keeps slapping me in the face. Parts of me ache. Parts of me are envious. Parts of me are nervous. Parts of me elated. I didn't realize all these different emotions would hit at once. Oh did I mention the nest is staying here in Germany while the chick leaves for Wa State. The reality of my first born heading off to college and leaving is rapidly sinking in.

I guess I will grieve the loss of my daughter as a child dependent of me and her father. I will embrace the independent women she will become.

I know many of my blog entries are going to be about my daughter Miranda. We have a very good relationship. They say never try to be your daughter's best friend, but she truly has been my best friend. A song that describes our relationship to a tee Just the two of us. We can make it if we try. Just the two of us. Building castles in the sky. Just the two of us. You and I. "Just the Two of Us" by Will Smith.

I was a teenage mother not sure what I was going to do with a child. Now 18 years later that child is graduating with honors and leaving for college. I'm so proud of the little girl I raised and amazed by all she's accomplished. I can't to see what she does at college.

Spread your wings and fly sweetheart.......spread your wings and fly.

No comments: