September 22, 2011

Fall has Begun

Today officially ends summer that means we move into FALL, my favorite time of the year. Which means pumpkins, crispy crunchy leaves, oranges, yellows and browns, hot chocolate nights, cool breezy evenings, lots of baking, gloves and hats, and let's not forget to mention all the glorious FALL crafts we get to do. I absolutely L-O-V-E this time of year. Today to kick off this Fall season I made Pumpkin Hummus. It was a wonderful surprisingly sweet snack. I recommend this recipe for any other pumpkin lovers out there. You won't be disappointed. I didn't have pita bread so I added a little olive oil to a pan and cooked up a wheat tortilla. Tomorrow I will purchase some wheat pita bread and brush with olive oil, bake it in the oven and have some more of this delicious pumpkin hummus for my mid afternoon snack!
Pumpkin Hummus

Ingredients
1 medium pumpkin
1 can garbanzo beans
1 teaspoon tahini
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4-1/2 cup water or reserved pumpkin juice

Instructions
Pre-heat oven to 375˚ for pumpkin puree. To make your own pumpkin puree cut a pumpkin in half, remove seeds and strings, brush with olive oil and place rind side up on a baking tray. Let bake for 60-75 minutes until the pumpkin is soft. Remove from the oven and let cool until you are able to handle the pumpkin. Remove the pumpkin pulp from the rind and place in a large bowl. Mash until all the lumps are removed (you can also use a food processor at this point.) Finally, place pureed pumpkin in cheese cloth and squeeze out as much water as you can (I reserved this for my hummus.) Measure out one cup and place in the food processor.
For hummus: add all the ingredients, except the water/pumpkin juice, to the food processor. Run processor on low and slowly add the pumpkin juice in, one tablespoon at a time until hummus becomes creamy. Remove from food processor and serve with pita bread!
 Let me know if you liked this recipe...Happy Baking ;)
Photobucket

No comments: